The VIBES project is a research & innovation action aiming to develop and demonstrate an innovative, greener, cost-efficient, and non-toxic recycling technology solution that resolves the end-of-life issues of thermoset composite materials, decreasing the amount of non-biodegradable polymers sent to disposal or discharged to the environment by at least 40%. Specifically, the main objectives of the VIBES project are:
- Design and develop at least three 100% biobased bonding materials (BBM) for thermoset composites with tailored debonding functionalities.
- Design and develop at least three 100% biobased thermoset composite materials.
- Validate the thermoset composite materials with intrinsic recycling properties for optimum performance / cost ratio, in three high-demand industrial sectors: aeronautical, construction and naval industries.
- Design and implement a green recycling technology at pilot semi-industrial environment to separate and valorise the composite components as new feedstocks for the development of new products.
- Assess the life cycle impact of the developed products from environmental, social and economic point of view.
- Develop an exploitation & IPR strategy for Key Exploitable Results.
- Develop a Business Plan to demonstrate the commercial potential of the developed solution and describe how this potential will be realised.
- Inform, promote, communicate and disseminate the project objectives, activities and results; engage stakeholders to create synergies.
- Provide new knowledge and skills to industry, students and open society.
The VIBES consortium, led by AITIIP (Spain), is comprised of 13 partners across 7 EU member states (Spain, France, Ireland, Germany, Belgium, Italy, Greece): 3 Research & Technology Organisations and 1 University (AITIIP, LEITAT, DITF, University of Limerick), 7 Small and Medium Enterprises (Specific Polymers, BCIRCULAR, FLIPS & DOBBELS, IDEC, Juno Composites, ARCHA, Q-PLAN International), 1 Large Company (ACCIONA Construccion), and 1 Public Body (Teruel International Airport PLATA).