LIFE+ RECYCLING SYMPRAXIS aimed to study, develop and implement pilot recycling schemes of various types of municipal solid waste through the collaboration of public and private sector and focusing on the touristic character of Chalkidiki, Greece. Types of waste studied included:
- Packaging waste.
- Organic waste (garden waste, kitchen waste etc).
- Special types of waste, such as electronic and electric equipment waste (WEEE) and construction and demolition waste (CDW).
The project constituted one of the first organized efforts towards the implementation of recycling schemes in Chalkidiki region. More specifically:
- For the first time, a Packaging Material recycling scheme was implemented in the two of the Municipalities of Chalkidiki that were partners in the project (Kassandra and Sithonia). The informal PPP scheme that was formed was very clear and could be easily continued, expanded or replicated.
- For the first time in Chalkidiki, an Organic Waste Recycling Scheme was implemented with the creation of an Open Air Composting Field in Aristotle Municipality and the dissemination of Organic Waste recycling Bins to large hotel establishments.
- For the first time in Chalkidiki, an Electric/Electronical Waste Recycling Scheme (WEEE) was implemented with the collaboration of the national Collective Alternative WEEE Management System
- A detailed analysis of the current situation in Chalkidiki as regards waste management and recycling was conducted. It was the first organized attempt to monitor and estimate the waste quantities and synthesis produced in the region, consisting therefore an important tool for responsible authorities, decision makers for waste management etc.
- A substantial increase in the level of environmental awareness among all local stakeholders (local authorities, public institutions, private sector, local population) was achieved due to the project actions’ implementation.