PICTURE was a support action project aimed at supporting policy dialogue between the European Union and Eastern Europe – Central Asia (EECA) countries and at fostering research collaboration with EECA countries organizations in collaborative ICT R&D both under FP7 and under national/regional EECA programs.
PICTURE objectives were:
- To enrich and support the policy dialogue between EU and EECA countries, by updating and reinforcing points for convergence of the EU and EECA ICT research and relevant international initiatives and activities; by developing recommendations and roadmap, and by implementing pilot actions and exchanging experience and lessons learnt.
- To strengthen strategic partnerships and cooperative research links between European and EECA ICT organizations, e.g., though stronger involvement of IT diaspora and enhancing concrete cooperation initiatives.
- To facilitate interactions between EU and EECA ICT communities through organizations of joint events, and facilitate preparation of joint EU-EECA R&D projects.
To reach the objective of the project, the consortium:
- Updated the EU-EECA ICT priorities for cooperation and provide an overview of the EECA ICT policy dialogue (priorities, actions, etc), currently existing in the region.
- Enriched the Policy Dialogue process and meetings between the EU and EECA, encompassing findings from policy research and stakeholder views dealing with common R&D perspectives, priorities, opportunities and challenges.
- Set up and operate 3 Working Groups (in 3 thematic areas) comprised on experts from both regions
- Organised 3 workshops with ten working groups meetings, providing input and follow up.
- Implemented pilot projects.
- Recommended future co-operation initiatives.
- Explored and recommended existing EECA programmes in order to open new perspectives for participation of the EU ICT teams.