MaPEeR SME aimed to acquire a comprehensive insight into the design, implementation and impact of existing SME research and innovation support programmes and initiatives in the whole EU27 Member States (plus Bosnia Herzegovina). The scope was to create the Common Knowledge Base necessary and establish appropriate scientific advice and sustainable support mechanisms to assist the EC and national, regional policy makers to better define a strategy for future research and innovation actions in favour of SMEs in the European Research Area (ERA).
More specifically, MaPEeR SME project had the following objectives:
- To provide a comprehensive, in-depth, horizontal and cross-sectoral analysis on (EU27) national & regional SME research programmes and initiatives in terms of their structure, implementation modalities, methodologies used and their impact.
- To identify ‘end-users’ (SMEs & EU Stakeholders) needs and requirements to overcome barriers for getting into European and national / regional research & innovation support programmes.
- To create synergies and initiate structured policy dialogue between the various players at EU and national, regional levels (DG RTD, REGIO, EAC and ENTR, along with national and regional level) through the European Experts Council on SMEs.
- To provide a comprehensive, comparative analysis and recommendations for a new strategy and support measures that better address the needs of SMEs
MaPEeR SME also set-up and established appropriate and sustainable mechanisms to provide advice to the EC, the national and regional (EU27) policy makers and SME research programme managers (from S&T related Ministries, national & regional research agencies and intermediaries) as well as SME Stakeholders. For this scope MaPEeR SME established two main mechanisms:
- The ‘European Council on SMEs’. Among the main scope of the Council will be the following: (i) Definition of policies, (ii) Creation of strategic agendas and plans, (iii) Support to the EC and governments.
The ‘European BackOffice Service’. MaPEeR SME set up and run a permanent mechanism with up-to-date information on SME RTD policies / programmes at EC and EU27 level and provided permanent and comprehensive support services to EC policy makers and SME RTD programme managers, intermediaries and SME stakeholders.