Triggering Sustainable Biogas Energy Communities through Social Innovation (GA No 691752)
European Commission – Innovation and Networks Executive Agency (INEA)
HORIZON 2020 – “Secure, clean and efficient energy”
January 2016 – December 2018 (36 months)
Mr Dimitrios Daskalakis – +30 2310 411 191, firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr Iakovos Delioglanis – +30 2310 411 191, email@example.com
ISABEL is all about promoting, supporting and developing community biogas in Europe. The project is set on providing all the framework conditions for biogas communities to shape, develop and thrive. It works on all angles to pave the way for the transition from traditional supply chains to community ownership and take full advantage of the ample societal benefits of local community-driven biogas systems, fuelled and inspired by Social Innovationprinciples. To realize this vision ISABEL will employ its “5E strategy” with the following objectives:
- Educate: ISABEL will re-position biogas energy by shifting the attention on its societal dimensions and re-branding it as a “public good”.
- Engage: ISABEL will enable the development of a regional Biogas Communities based on existing communities and socially-oriented local organisations and associations and embark on an awareness and engagement campaign to grow the Communities.
- Empower: ISABEL will support and stimulate regional biogas consumption and production initiatives through processes of Social Innovation and Public Participation. ISABEL will deploy a bouquet consisting of digital tools, expert knowledge, and participatory processes providing to Communities with all the necessary support to materialize and govern their own local sustainable Biogas production and consumption system.
- Evaluate: ISABEL will evaluate the impact and outcomes from the local initiatives drafting lessons and guidelines and with a view to improve policies and create a favourable environment that will sustain the biogas energy community.
- Expand: ISABEL will use gathered experience, evidence-base, success stories and best practices, communicate them through its networks across Europe and provide support for its replication in other areas.
ISABEL will apply its strategy on three regions that are in different phases of maturity and development, providing a complementary synthesis of evidence:
- Baden-Württemberg – Lake Constance Bioenergy Region (Germany),
- Yorkshire and The Humber (United Kingdom), and
- Central and Eastern Macedonia & Thrace (Greece).
- Project management and coordination
- Support the design of region-specific strategies and action plans to stimulate the involvement of biogas stakeholders
- Implementation of “warm-up” activities paving the way to the creation of the regional Biogas SI Platforms and Communities”
- Support the regional Biogas Communities to develop their vision and strategy as well as initial action plans
- Design and development of the ISABEL’s on-line portal, crowdsourcing tools and mobile apps
- Leader of the project activities in Greece by playing an active role in engaging biogas stakeholders and in identifying and supporting Community biogas interventions.
- Organisation of an international workshop in Greece so as to create awareness on ISABEL findings and engage stakeholders from other regions or neighbourhood countries
- Promotion of the project’s activities and findings through its wide national and European networks